The IHIU Control System is available with a 7" touchscreen interface.
But that's just the start.
This is our Raspberry Pi based system, combining cutting edge open source hardware, with a mix of our own software alongside the pick of open-source technology available, and some of these are ground-breaking in our opinion.
The system can provide a secure VPN connection, a well as host an OpenCloud service that completely overcomes the need for a cloud based server. The unit is itself a cloud based secure server, and specific files (such as years of heat meter data every 30 seconds) can be selectively shared. Apps are also available for PCs and smartphones on all platforms to enable access and file syncing. Big brand services of a similar level cost a lot of money, and don't come close in terms of functionality.
Why is this a big deal ? Well it means for very little money and no contracts you can install a system that will monitor all kinds of kit and store the data for years, backed up where chosen, and with no loss of data or services when a new metering agent is appointed (currently the only store of any heat meter data - the rest goes to waste).
The occupant stays in ultimate control of their data, but it can be shared anonymously if chosen to services such as the Energy Saving Trusts EMBED database.
If the unit gets destroyed, it can be easily replaced from a high street shop or next day online, and the valuable data restored from any remote syncs. The whole system operates from an SD card that an be backed up manually, allowing a full hardware update in minutes. There is no doubt that the next model of Raspberry Pi will be yet another ground-breaker, and to know that the computer at the heart of a home is best trusted open-source platform there is (over 5 million sold), data rich and secure, and contract free is a good way forwards.
And then you have our software.
Control of all your service, from DHW temperature through to heating control, with dashboards refined for the touchscreen interface. It talks directly to our range of HIUs, as well as other systems on common protocols including M-Bus.
- A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU
- 802.11n Wireless LAN
- Bluetooth 4.1
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- 7" high quality capacitive touch screen display 840x480 @60fps 24-bit colour.
- 4 USB ports
- 40 GPIO pins
- Full HDMI port
- Ethernet port
- Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
- Camera interface (CSI)
- Display interface (DSI)
- Micro SD card slot
- VideoCore IV 3D graphics core
- Linux operating system
- Apache web server
- MySql Database
- PHP, Python, and other programming languages
- The system can connect simultaneously to both our electronic HIUs, as well as an M-Bus or RS232/RS485 enabled heat meter.
- Data can be displayed through graphical dashboards, tables, or web pages to user.
- Owncloud server functionality to enable secure file sharing, typically of system log files, HIU and heat meter data.
- Optionally feeds data to the EMBED database, or to our own servers, typically every 15 seconds.
- Optional VPN services.
- Provides remote connection to system using a standard Remote Desktop Connection, or via the built in web interface.
The Release Notes for the raspbian operating system detail the core features.