The SLIM HIU
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Documents
- 3 As Standard
- 4 Schematic
- 5 Images
- 6 DHW Performance - SLIM
- 7 Additional Functionality
- 8 Guarantees and After Sales Backup for HIU's
- 9 Other Products in our range
The SLIM HIU is possibly the smallest and most efficient DHW generation unit on the market, using the latest electronic stepper motor controls to provide instantaneous DHW. A flow sensor allows the electronics to respond rapidly to changes in DHW flow rate, maintaining steady output temperatures with very little fluctuation.
As with all the electronic range of HIUs, the SLIM provides two modes of operation that can be selected at commissioning - a Comfort Mode, where the unit keeps itself hot at all times ready for rapid DHW response, or an Economy Mode, where the unit goes cold after one hour of inactivity. Anti-Legionella functionality is also provided.
The unit comes in an attractive EPP casing, with overall dimensions of only 240mm (W) x 420mm (H) x 90mm (D), and remarkably low heat losses of less than 2W. Suitable for primary temperatures up 120C, and pressures up to 16 bar, with outputs up to 53kW. As an optional extra the unit can be supplied with metal outer casing. All connections are bottom entry with union connection for easy installation.
|SLIM User and Installation Instructions|
|Amazon HX SLIM|
|SLIM Extra Datasheet|
Rather than purely mechanical controls, the SLIM uses an electronic controller to read sensors and control outputs. The big advantage of this approach is it enables every control function desired to be implemented through lines of software code, where a mechanical system requires a separate device to perform each function. This is best demonstrated by the list of functions the SLIM can perform using just one valve for the heat exchanger, including temperature control, differential pressure compensation, domestic hot water preheat, heat boost, and security shut-off. A mechanical system to achieve this requires a multitude of valves, and becomes complicated, large, and heavy. The SLIM's electronics also enable such functions as smartphone control, network load management, and remote commissioning and fault reporting, by exposing data and receiving commands via a serial port to the optional IHIU Ethernet/WiFi control system.
Stepper Motor Technology
The SLIM makes use of the latest stepper motor technology for the hot water control valve. This provides a number of advantages over more traditional thermostatic or motorised valves, allowing significantly faster and more accurate control of flow rate and temperature. More significantly the SLIM can operate the valve to perform a range of functions, rather than simple fixed temperature control. These include flow limitation, and sterilisation cycles.
Economy / Comfort Mode
It is common for HIU's to include a thermostatic bypass to maintain heat across the domestic hot water plate heat exchanger at all times, this helps minimise delays in hot water supply when a tap is opened.
The DATA, DIGI and SLIM HIU's all perform a similar function with the Economy or Comfort mode, by momentarily opening the domestic hot water stepper motor to allow small quantities of primary water to creep into the unit at regular intervals. The primary pipework leading to and from the HIU usually loses heat faster than the HIU itself, hence the unit will typically settle trickling in heat fast enough to keep the primary return at or just below domestic hot water temperature. The DATA, DIGI and SLIM HIU's are the only HIU's capable of this level of control with electronics to ensure that primary return temperatures remain below the domestic hot water setpoint at all times.
Each HIU has two domestic hot water keep hot modes, Economy or Comfort. These can only be selected during commissioning or by a trained engineer.
The default setting is Eco mode, and this can be specified to run for 0 minutes (which turns the feature off all together), 15, 30, 60 or 120 minutes after the last hot water draw off. In Eco mode the heat exchanger is kept to a specified temperature (between 25 and 60 Deg C) for the selected period of time and after this period of inactivity has elapsed the stepper motor closes completely and the temperature in the domestic hot water circuit is allowed to drop through natural dissipation to minimize energy consumption. If a hot water draw off is made any time throughout the Eco mode function the unit will deliver hot water as usual and the Eco mode function will begin counting down for the selected time once again.
In Comfort mode the heat exchanger is continuously supplied with a trickle of primary water for quicker hot water delivery, however energy consumption will be slightly higher than if the unit was set in Eco mode.
Anti Legionella Function
After 24 hours of inactivity, the HIU will bring the domestic hot water plate heat exchanger up to temperature to prevent legionella from growing. The heat exchanger is heated to 57°C for a period of at least 60 minutes.
It is not possible to specify the time at which this occurs, however it will stop immediately upon a hot water draw off.
Moulded EPP Insulated Casing
The best way to reduce heat losses is typically to insulate. In an HIU this is especially important as there is very little water content and so even a small heat loss results in temperatures dropping and the controls cycling the primary supplies to reheat. To significantly reduce this, the DATA, DIGI and SLIM HIU's makes use of engineered EPP (Expanded Polypropylene) moulded enclosures that encase individual components preventing any heat bridging to the environment, or to other components within the unit. The resulting heat losses are under 50 Watts, helping to ensure that cupboard temperatures do not rise significantly, and although the finished moulded casing looks good in itself, there is also an option for an outer metal cladding.
Advanced Heat Exchanger Technology
District heating pipework should generally be sized for temperatures as high as the plant can typically generate, to satisfy those days when it is -5°C outside. Most of the time however, there is considerable space to run the network at lower temperatures during periods of reduced demand. In addition, modern heating loads are becoming very small indeed, making it difficult to maintain turbulence (and efficiency) within heat exchangers. The SLIM makes use of an Asymetric plate heat exchanger to best match the characteristics of modern dwellings, while maintaining efficiency.
Reliability and Confidence
Ask yourself, is it possible for installers or users to modify any settings in an HIU that could affect performance? Then ask yourself, of all the problems you have ever had with HIUs, were any related to inconsistent settings or tinkering?
The performance settings on the SLIM can only be altered by an approved engineer with the right kit and software, and is typically setup both in the factory, and again confirmed at commissioning. These settings are locked in software, with a report confirming all settings generated at commissioning. Following setup, no-one can change the settings, override DHW settings, open bypasses, or set the central heating temperatures too high. The whole system actually performs in reality as it does on paper.
DHW Performance - SLIM
DHW Performance Table
DHW Power Chart for 10C to 55C
Primary Return Temperatures
Primary Flow Rates
Primary Pressure Drop
As well as acting as a simple hot water generator for instantaneous hot water, the SLIM can be turned to additional applications where an accurately controlled heat exchange process is important. The image below shows two such applications where the SLIM is used to generate a feed to underfloor heating, and where it is partnered with a domestic hot water cylinder to generate copious amounts of hot water.
Guarantees and After Sales Backup for HIU's
Heat Interface Units (HIUs) carry the following guarantees as standard:
1. The warranty begins on the date of delivery. A dated delivery note will be issued to the customer and a copy will be stored by Thermal integration.
2. 12 Months Parts and labour - Parts or labour proven to be defective will be replaced / repaired free of charge for a period of 12 months from date of delivery, provided the HIU is installed by a qualified engineer within 6 months of date of delivery.
- 24 Months Parts Only - Parts proven to be defective will be supplied free of charge (for fitting by others) for a period of 24 months from date of delivery.
3. Replacement of parts under warranty does not extend the duration of the warranty.
4. Any other costs are not covered by this warranty. All other damages of any nature whatsoever and howsoever arising, are expressly excluded from this guarantee.
5. The warranty conditions above only apply:
- a. In the UK only on items provided exclusively by Thermal Integration.
- b. If the product is installed by a Thermal Integration approved engineer in compliance with the installation instructions.
- c. The installer must complete the commissioning checklist in full at the time the HIU is installed. This checklist must be returned to Thermal Integration within 30 days of commissioning. Checklists are enclosed in the HIU installation instructions.
- d. If the installation complies with all current and relevant building regulations and codes of practice. (including the requirement to clean the primary and secondary heating systems and add corrosion inhibitor in line with BS7593:2006)
- e. If the product is used and maintained exclusively according to the manufacturer's instructions and proof of periodic inspection / maintenance by a Thermal Integration approved engineer is available.
- f. If the returned item is accompanied by a fully completed Thermal Integration Warranty Return Form.
6. Excluded are defects caused by:
- a. Failure to maintain in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- b. Improper use.
- c. Any attempt at repairs / maintenance by un-qualified persons.
- d. where parts other than Thermal Integration Genuine Parts have been used in any service or repair.
- e. Lightning, fire or natural disasters.
- f. Deterioration and / or pollution from the district heating system or water network, either domestic hot water or heating side.
- g. PH values of the primary medium being less than 7.5 or greater than 9.0.
- h. Harmful additives to the heating water.
- i. Consumables as specified by us, including but not limited to: hoses, gaskets and batteries.
7. Report any faults to your installer, service engineer or Thermal Integration directly. Faulty parts must be accompanied by a fully completed Thermal Integration Warranty Return form, to be returned to Thermal Integration. Returned items remain the property of Thermal Integration Ltd.
The Thermal Integration Warranty Return Form can be requested by phone or email. Returns are not accepted unless expressly agreed in writing.
Transport risk of returned items lies with the sender. The shipping of replacement parts are the responsibility of the supplier.
8. If the HIU breaks down, we may ask you to pay us a deposit before we visit you to repair it. We will return the deposit in full if we find a fault that is covered by this warranty. We may keep the deposit if we cannot access your property at the time we had arranged with you to visit or we find other conditions of this warranty have not been met. A responsible adult must be at the property to give our engineer this access to the HIU.
Thermal Integration offer commissioning services across the UK. The service includes:
- a. The fulfilment of the defined commissioning instructions.
- b. Completion and return of site wide commissioning paperwork.
- c. Rectification of any HIU problems.
- d. Confirmation of HIU performance to contract specifications.
- e. Engineer travel and subsistence.
Commissioning rates are charged on a whole day basis, and it is the responsibility of the client to ensure:
- a. Safe access to properties and HIUs
- b. Correct operation of central plant with delivery of heat to HIUs at specified temperatures, flow and pressures.
- c. All pipework has been correctly tested and flushed.
- d. Credit on billing system to enable security valve.
A minimum 2 weeks notice is required in writing to Thermal Integration before the requested commissioning date.
Technical assistance and engineer backup can be obtained by calling our offices:
- Commercial Sales and Operations: 0845 2411441
- Specflue Sales: 0333 9997974
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Heatweb Wiki website at www.heatweb.com/wiki contains information on all aspects of HIU design, function, and servicing, and is always the best place to visit for additional documentation or how to guides.
Other Products in our range
On this page you will find technical datasheets for many of the products in the Thermal Integration range.
The SLIM HIU
|Amazon HX SLIM|
|SLIM Extra Datasheet|